Thursday, September 17, 2009

My husbands obsession

It's that time of year again when I become a single mother while my husband goes out and lives his dream of killing animals in the backcountry. He prepares for months; shooting his bow everyday and exercising like crazy. He also spends tons of money getting the right gear and the tags to hunt out of state. This obsession just started last year, but I assume it will be continuing well into the future. This is the first kill of the great Wyoming deer hunt. They hiked in 6 miles (on horses this time) and were both able to kill one within the first two days. Jake found his right after, but Shane wasn't that lucky, he hunted around for hours trying to find him, but to no avail. When they returned to camp in the pitch black that night.....

This is what they found. Their camp had been ransacked by a bear while they were gone. The tent was smashed, the food drug all over the mountain, and hundreds of dollars in lost gear. Of course it was the middle of the night and they were scared out of their pants. They wanted to leave that night, but Jake's deer was up the mountain in some snow, so they went across the meadow with whatever they could salvage, and tried to sleep with a horse on each side as a guard dog. They did not have any protection except bear spray and two bows. I can't even imagine what a fearful sleepless night that must have been.


Well they had been home all of 5 days and were chomping at the bit to go find Shane's deer. As you can imagine Alayna and I were almost as scared to let them go as they were that night on the mountain. They left without their best protection--the horses, and hiked in for 4 hours in the pitch dark. I know you are thinking they are NUTS, but those are two men whose minds are not easily changed especially when there are animals to be killed. I was of course thinking I really did not want to permanently be a single mother, so we insisted they take a gun this time, and they were to hang their food in a tree this time. I am not sure they really listened to us the wives, but I am telling you after all the bear dreams I had all week, I was very scared.



Well they made it back safely with about 43 hours of driving, hiking, and complete exhaustion, but they found the deer. Shane was about the happiest man on earth. He had been so excited when he killed it and so down on himself when he didn't find it, I was very happy he found it. It was full of maggots and chewed up, but the head was good and the picture looks nice after a little photoshop. I fear that this will only feed the fire and the obsession, but I suppose he is doing what he loves :) and I am just soooo happy he made it out alive and hope they learned a few lessons along the way.




4 comments:

  1. You are a good woman Geana. Even though John likes to own guns, he doesn't really like to hunt because he doesn't like to hike. If it were legal, he would love to hunt from the back of a truck. I am glad Shane found his dead deer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I would have been scared too! Glad they were safe and were able to find their kill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stacey took the words right out of my mouth! You are a good woman Geana. So many aspects of that awesome story you just wrote have completely baffled me. For one, I am totally shocked that he not only went back 5 days later to look for, but that he actually FOUND his dear?!!?!? That's just amazing!

    The other baffling part to me is this: can you just imagine what it would be like to not only have a hobby that you loved so much, but that you can just up and leave for who knows how long, in oreder to pursue said hobby? I just can't even imagine what that would be like. My life revolves COMPLETELY around my kids! I feel guilty taking 30 minutes to read blogs or play on the computer! I guess I'm just jealous...

    Great post Geana. You're a great writer and story-teller! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You told that story so well! Dang husbands! I can't believe the stress they put us through! I'm glad they both got out of there alive and that they got their trophies. At least now we have a year to recupe . . . I don't even want to start thinking about next year!

    ReplyDelete