Sunday, May 30, 2010

Marathon












Shane decided 6 or so months ago that he was going to do a Marathon. He attempted to sign up for the Ogden but was too late and entirely too cheap, so he conjured up the "First and Last Plain City Marathon". He mapped out his course of 26.2 miles, planned for stops all along the way, got a few nice folks to help keep him company and planned the date--May 22nd.
He started at 7:00 a.m. after "carbing up" all week making us all eat pasta every night. He had plans for company to start around mile 14, but was pleasantly surprised to see his aunt Lisa on her bike planning on riding with him for the first nine miles. Kiley also took those miles as the refreshment gal and the boys and I picked up after her cheering and providing refreshment. Shane's uncle Niel picked up at mile 14 running and at 16 he got a whold crowd---Becky and Nichole on thier bikes, Juan (Shane's friend) on foot, and Braxton and Brandon (Juan's son) on thier bikes. Trish (Juan's wife) served as bike patrol in her truck keeping everyone far away from the bikers/runners. Later on Tara took over as the refreshment gal and I took photos, and Jake Weston and Bryce Moyes joined on foot. Becky, Russ, and Nichole finished up as the refreshment folks, and Braxton and I joined on foot for the last little while. The finish line was FULL of people who love Shane cheering and holding signs. Shane couldn't even stop his legs from moving long enough for a photo, it was pretty funny, he had to walk for about 1 hour after just to calm down his legs, and even then his legs were pretty restless.

Shane and I were overwhelmed with the support that people showed us. We had no idea so many people would jump in on his crazy idea, let alone be so supportive giving up their Saturday morning. It really meant a lot to us.

Shane did awesome! He ran the whole way and never gave up. He proved that he could do it, which was EXACTLY what he set out to do. He was pretty sore a couple of days later but much less than I expected. I thought he would sleep for two days, but he was surprisingly doing very well. I did notice that as the next week wore on after getting up at 4:30 every day for work he was exhausted by Thursday. Since then he has had a couple of catch up sleep naps and is back to his old self!

5 comments:

  1. Wow! That is so cool that you guys did that! Way to save the $50 or whatever it costs. Good job to Shane. I really don't like running.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great to experience this with Shane, I had no idea that I would be so proud of him. Great Job Shane!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome job Shane! I knew you could do it! Good thing you're sturdy! Geana, I see a picture of you running too- I thought you said you weren't a runner! Very impressive both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go Shane!! I can't imagine 26 miles.

    Happy Birthday Geana, I love the new hair do!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am always amazed by Marathon Runners. What an accomplishment!!

    ReplyDelete