Thursday, August 27, 2009

First Grade Woes


Well it is here, my child being gone all day every day. I am not so sure that I like it, but I suppose I will get used to it in no time. Things are going fairly well so far. Dakota is bored stiff all day and wants to play the computer or watch TV, hopefully he will also get used to it.

Braxton had a tough first day, coming home saying he was tired and hungry. A little bully at school stole 3/4 of his lunch while he went to get his milk he had forgotten, and that same bully kicked him on the playground and tied his arms back. He told the boys teacher, and another mom saw the playground incident, and told the monitor on the playground. I dealt with this same child all last year and was very blessed not to have him in Braxy's class this year, but he is just like a leach that we can't shake. Since then Brax hasn't said anything, and the boy was absent yesterday, so after talking about it and giving him some tips on standing up for yourself and also letting adults know, here is hoping things turn out better in the coming weeks.

A friend at work told me I am going to make them get in a fist fight with that kind of "standing up for yourself" advice, but all last year we went the be kind, ignore, route and it didn't prove anything, so we are to the scare him off route now. I am not sure if it is the "right" thing to do, but if it works and he moves on to someone else, all the better for Braxton.

Any advice? I could use all I can get at this point.

3 comments:

  1. Your pictures are gorgeous. The boys are so handsome, love it. My advice, let them freakin punch it out. Even if Braxton gets the crap beat of him, at least the other kid will get in trouble and maybe it will teach the other kid a lesson. All it may take is someone standing up to this kid and showing him that he can't do that and it might stop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Braxton looks too sweet in his picture for him to get in a fight. I am sorry I have no advice. I am not excited to have to deal with this someday. Good luck. I will say a little prayer for him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are the 3 bits of advice I gave Drew when he was dealing with a bully this year:

    1) Know who the safe people are and tell them if anything physical or painful happens. Along the same lines, know who the nice kids are and stick with them... stay in a group of nice kids as much as possible so you're not a target.

    2) Have a sense of humor about it. If he's calling you names or whatever, just say "so what" and laugh it off... even agree with him. If he sees he's not getting to you, hopefully he'll move on to another target. Along those same lines, try not to let the bully see your emotions (don't cry or get angry), unless it's a smile. (Check out "The meanest thing to say" by Bill Cosby at the library... it's a good one.)

    3) Stand tall and stick up for yourself. Know that you are an amazing person and it's ok to stick up for yourself no matter what!

    For you I say Rent the movie 17 Again (if you haven't seen it already.) There's a part where Zac Effron tells off the bully and it's fabulous!! Don't watch it with the boys, but watch it... it will help you think of this all in a different light.

    Bullying sucks and I hate that our kids have had to deal with this, but I truly feel that these are the things that will make our kids stronger! So chin up and smile! Love you!

    ReplyDelete