Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Pumpkins 2013



That time of year again.  Man it comes around way to fast.  I cant believe it has been 7 years that we have been doing this.  I also can not believe how much easier it gets when the boys are bigger and actually help.  I put them on a job and they just get it done, it is nice.  We had so many weeds this year it was crazy.  In fact, Cam told Shane "Dad maybe we should sell weeds instead of pumpkins this year."  We took care of most of them, got the area ready, picked the babies, and sprayed the weeds last Saturday, so we can now open this Saturday after conference.
I just wanted to insert a copy of Shane's talk he gave at church last Sunday so we can have it in our family history when I print:

For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. (2 Timothy 1:7)

The question was asked at work the other day, "what is it that you fear the most?" Answers were given like heights, claustrophobia, flying, water, spiders, snakes, fish, getting old, needles, and dying.

Most of us had different answers and some the same, but the fact of the matter was that each one of us have fears that we face every day.

Today mine is public speaking.

Perhaps its the daily trial that we face, that create the fears inside us.

David chose to take on Goliath.  Was that a trial? you bet it was. Was he afraid? I'm sure he was until he ask his father in heaven for the strength and courage to concur the giant. And even then I'm sure he had a little fear in him up until the time Goliath hit the ground.

A few year ago my wife came up with a brilliant idea to grow pumpkins in our back yard. Growing up my dad had an orchard that we as kids would help with the  pruning and picking of the fruit. Although I hated every minute of it I learned many valuable lessons doing so. So when Geana had the idea to grow pumpkins I was all for it, just for the fact that I might be able to pass those same lessons down to my kids.

Yesterday we decided we needed to go out and do some weeding in the patch to get ready for October. I was the first one out to the patch and was overwhelmed by the shear number of weeds that had taken over the patch. I quickly turned around and headed back to the house, I was convinced there was no way we were going to be able to weed the whole patch. I gave up, I was afraid.

And then somehow Geana talked me into going back out to give it our best effort.
One by one we hand picked those weeds. Cameron turned to me and said "maybe we should sell weeds instead of pumpkins this year dad", I laughed and continued pulling. A job that seamed impossible to complete was done in a little over 2 hours.
What would my kids have learned if I had given up?

Yesterday our pumpkin patch was my Goliath. Today it is speaking to you, And tomorrow may be something else.

For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

I bear you my testimony that with the help of God all thing are possible. We have been given trials in life to help us grow and be stronger, better people. I hope we can all learn from our trials and as hard as it may be, be thankful for them and not fear them.
I am thankful for my wife and kids that push me to be a better husband and father every day.
I know this church is true, ......

1 comment:

  1. I need some pumpkin tips next year. I planted four plants this year and got three pumpkins. I am not a successful pumpkin farmer.

    ReplyDelete