I am not sure how to put into words the horror of receiving the call that Braxton had fallen off his horse and hit his head and was nonresponsive. It was like it couldn't be real, like a dream as I look back on it. We had just returned from Lake Powell 4 days earlier having the time of our lives and Braxton had gone back up to Logan. It was a Monday night, both of his brothers had just spent Saturday up with him playing the lake and with the animals and went to the demolition derby. Life seemed to be going great, just another summer day. We had just got home from a Bishopric BBQ over at the Fishers when Kim Munford call me and said Braxton is heading in an ambulance to Logan Regional Hospital because his horse collided with the cow when he was roping and he is non responsive. We immediately jumped in the car with Dakota and Cam at 10:00 at night and drove up there. On our ride up there we prayed together as a family and texted all our loved ones to tell them of the horror. Everyone was so supportive and helpful. The sheriff called me and told me that he has a broken ribs, broken collar bone, and possible broken neck. We were so shattered and worried and prayed and prayed he would survive.
As is look back on the entire ordeal I know the first miracle that occurred was that he didn't wake up after hitting his head. Had he woken up, he and Kaysen would have never called 911 and Brax would have just gone to sleep, never to wake up again. There would have been so many unanswered questions and devastation. They did call 911 and took him in an ambulance to Logan Regional Hospital where he was intubated and they did a CT scan. The doctor there told me that he didn't appear to have anything broken, but he had 4 brain bleeds and a Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI). I remember holding on to these words that he said that night "if you have to hit your head he did it in the right spot, on the lower right side". I knew things weren't good, but that gave me the tiny glimpse that the road ahead would be long, but promising with a lot of faith and prayers and patience.
Shane and Dakota gave him a blessing as soon as they would allow, although they said it had to be while they were working because they couldn't stop. Kaysen, Makayla, and Cois were in the waiting room when we got there just devastated. The rest of the Munford clan was in Provo for a tournament. Grandma Becky met us up there and so did Grandpa Mel (Kim's dad). I told everyone else to stay home because they were life flighting him to either UofU or McKay Dee based on who had a bed. Turns out that miracle #2 was already in the works and Lori, Shane's cousin, is the head nurse over the ICU at McKay Dee and that is where he got admitted. It was a long, sleepless night in the waiting room of the ICU. Dakota drove Grandma Becky home and Cameron came with us to McKay Dee. A few hours later after he was settled in his room, Shane took Cam home and came right back. As I sat there alone with Brax having what I can only describe as my first anxiety attack praying like I hadn't prayed in a very long time. Praying for an unexpected recovery that surpasses all expectations, praying that I could be strong enough to survive this trial, and mostly that I can keep my boy in whatever shape or form God would let me.
No comments:
Post a Comment