Saturday, February 27, 2010

Dates with the boys


I have taken Dakota and Braxton on a date, one each last Saturday and this Saturday. It was so fun. Dakota wanted to feed the ducks and get ice cream. Braxton wanted to go bowling and get ice cream, but it was changed when he got the opportunity to play with a friend, to getting candy at Smith and Ed's and a slushy at Chevron.

I am so pleased at the simpleness of what makes my boys happy. Braxton chose about two candies and one .99 toy and he was set. I learned a few things in my adventures with them both:

1-Kids love 1-on-1 attention, and I love giving it, I just rarely find time to be alone with them.
2-They don't want fancy, expensive fun, they just want to be with me or their dad alone.
3-I asked them both the same questions about school and church, and they said the best things about their friends and Jesus, I love hearing their answers.
4-Every time I let them be in charge I am reminded so much of my wonderful childhood and the fun things I did. I even shared one of those memories with Braxton by taking him by the .25 pop machine out north, which has inflated all the way to .40.
5-Kids love to ride in the front seat. I know I shouldn't let them, but we didn't go far :) It just feels so much more personal that way. It is a whole new perspective on life from the front seat and they love it!!
6-I love being the mom of three awesome little boys who love each other. My favorite thing that Braxton said is when I asked his favorite thing to do alone he replied "I don't usually do things alone I do them with my brothers". Isn't he so lucky!!!

4 comments:

  1. Good job, Geana! You did the date thing. It sounds so great, we will have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's such a good idea. I don't think I get enough one on one with my kids. I think I'll copy your idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today in primary the teacher was talking about the things Jesus ate when he was a child. She told them that he ate dates. The kids looked at her funny and she asked, "Do you know what dates are?" Dakota quickly added, "Yeah it's what you do with your mom and dad." So cute, now I know why that was on his mind. You're such a great mom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute Stuff!! I was just thinking and talking about the one on one date/attention today!! I think that is an awesome idea.. I am going to try it..at least with my 2 oldest!

    ReplyDelete